Randolph Center in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Randolph State Normal School
Near this site stood the first Public School in Vermont for special training of teachers. It burned in 1893; rebuilt at a cost of $12,000 in 1894. Many of the 1623 graduates had long and distinguished careers in the educational professions. Four Principals served: Edward W. Conant, “Father of Vermont Normal Schools”, Abel E. Leavenworth, Andrew W. Edson, and Charles H. Morrill.
Presented by the R.S.N.S. Alumni Assoc. Erected by the Board of Historic Sites. Dedicated in August. A.D. 1965.
Erected 1965 by Vermont Board of Historic Sites.
Location. 43° 56.416′ N, 72° 36.413′ W. Marker is in Randolph Center, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Vermont Route 66, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located at the entrance to the Vermont Technical College campus. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 Main Street, Randolph Center VT 05061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Peckham Miller (was about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Tunbridge World's Fair (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Floating Bridge (approx. 7.1 miles away); Site of 1780 Raid (approx. 7.9 miles away); Wagon Wheels Farm (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Royalton Raid (approx. 9.1 miles away); Jessie LaFountain Bigwood (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Randolph Center.
Also see . . .
1. The Normal Register: A History of the First Vermont State Normal School, Its Instructors and Alumni. (Submitted on December 28, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. General Information | Vermont Tech. In Public Act No. 1 of 1866, the Vermont legislature established the first public school in Vermont devoted to the education of teachers. The Randolph State Normal School served this function until 1910, when the legislature determined that there was a need for a state agricultural school and established the Vermont School of Agriculture at the Normal School site by legislative act on November 29, 1910. (Submitted on December 28, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 21, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.