Near Louisbourg in Cape Breton Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
Le phare construit au XIXᵉ siècle
During the first half of the 19th century maritime officials took steps to reduce the many navigational risks and shipwrecks along the eastern seaboard of Canada. One of the new lighthouses put up was at Louisbourg, in 1842. It was a two and one-half storey wooden building that also served as a residence for the keeper.
The structure was erected on a massive cut stone foundation that lay upon bedrock. The masonry block in the center of the foundation is the base for the chimney, which helped support the lantern. In the full basement on the harbour side archaeologists found a wrought iron tank, identified as the kind manufactured for the British Navy, and which was used either for water or oil storage. On the land and seaward sides are the outlines of two small porches.
Fire destroyed this building in 1922, and the present concrete lighthouse was constructed the following year.
Au cours de la première moitié du XiXᵉ siècle, les autorités maritimes prirent diverses mesures pour réduire les nombreux obstacles à la navigation et épaves qui jonchaient la côte est du Canada. On mit en service de nouveaux phares, dont l’un à Louisbourg, en 1842. Il s’agissait d’un bâtiment de deux étages et demi, qui servait en même temps de résidence au gardien.
Le feu détruisit le bâtiment en 1922, On construisit le phare actuel l’année suivante.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Location. 45° 54.394′ N, 59° 57.511′ W. Marker is near Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, in Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Havenside Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 573 Havenside Road, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia B1C 1P4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lighthouse Tower (here, next to this marker); First Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); French Garrison at Louisbourg (a few steps from this marker); Louisbourg Harbour (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighthouse Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Kennelly Point (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Lobster Fishery (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Fortress of Louisbourg (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisbourg.
More about this marker. This marker is near the lighthouse located on the hill at the end of Havenside Road.
Categories. • Communications • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.