Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paul United Methodist Church
In 1901, the congregation began constructing a new brick-clad sanctuary by digging and finishing a concrete basement, called "Noah's Ark," where services were held during the 26 years it took to complete the sanctuary. Construction proceeded fitfully as material became available. Tradition holds that the façade has five different shades of brown brick because, for many years, parishioners brought bricks for the offering. Finally completed in 1927 under the leadership of Pastor George Deslandes, the sanctuary cost $80,000. The Gothic Revival style was derived from a design by William Sidney Pittman, Dallas'
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17802.)
Location. 32° 47.519′ N, 96° 47.786′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Routh Street and Wade Street, on the right when traveling north on Routh Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1816 Routh St., Dallas TX 75201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moorland YMCA Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel C.C. Slaughter (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Central National Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dallas County Records Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (approx. 1.1 miles away); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dealey Plaza (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. An Historic Marker Dedication and Unveiling Ceremony was held at 12 noon on Saturday, November 22, 2014 to unveil and dedicate this marker.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.