Corning in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Corning Centennial Sculpture
George Greenamyer, Artist
Tobacco growing came to this area before the Civil War. Corning soon became the area’s “tobacco” center and home of a cigar making industry. In 1887 Corning’s 12 cigar making companies produced well over ½ million cigars with women and girls providing much of the labor. Several cigar making companies were owned by women.
Corning’s destiny to become “The Crystal City” was sealed with the establishment of the Corning Flint Glass Works in 1868. The firm incorporated as Corning Glass Works in 1875 and became Corning Incorporated in 1989. The company was an early advocate of research and product development. It has provided the community with leadership
The opening of the Chemung Canal in October 1833 was the beginning of the growth of Corning which was located at the terminus of its Feeder Canal. In a few years the Corning-Bloosburg Railroad would be built to bring coal from Pennsylvania to transfer to the canal and thus be connected to the Erie Canal System. Corning’s commercial success began.
A “castle” sat upon Corning’s Southside hill from 1858 until 1965. It was originally built as a state arsenal on land given by members of the original Corning Company. It served as headquarters for Companies C & D of the 60th Regiment of the New York State Militia and as an arsenal until 1873 when it was purchased by St. Mary’s Parish which ysed it for an orphanage, convent, and kindergarten.
Erected 1996 by the ARTS of The Southern Finger Lakes, Dedicated July 27.
Location. 42° 8.56′ N, 77° 3.019′ W. Marker is in Corning, New York, in Steuben County. Marker Touch for map. Market Street continues to the east through the sculpture as a pedestrian way. Marker is in this post office area: Corning NY 14830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erie Avenue (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Corning (about 600 feet away); Ecker Drug Store (about 700 feet away); Galvin and Haines Insurance (approx. 0.2 miles away); At This Location an Alliance of Prosperity was Formed (approx. 0.2 miles away); Concert Hall Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Market Street Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corning.
More about this marker. The text of this historical marker is on paving stones set in the brickwork in the pavement in front of the sculpture. The five sets of figures on the sculpture correspond with the five paving stones.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 2, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.