Charlottetown in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Canadian Atlantic
Railway Car Shop
Atelier des wagons du chemin de fer
On November 30, 1905 fire destroyed several of the wooden manufacturing shops at the Charlottetown rail yard. To reduce the risk of future fires, it was decided to rebuild the shops in brick. E.A. Wallberg of Montreal was the contractor. The car shop was used for the construction of well-appointed passenger cars. Starting with a set of wheels at one end of the building, carpenters and machinists would send beautifully finished carriages out the massive doors at the other end. After 1910 the shop was used to repair dilapidated cars of get them ready for scrap. The building was extensively renovated in 2001. A substantial northwest wing was added at that time.
Le 30 novembre 1905, un incendie détruisit plusieurs de ateliers de bois du dépôt de la gare de Charlottetown. On décida alors de reconstruire les ateliers en briques afin de réduire les risques d’incendie à l’avenir. Un entrepreneur de Montréal, E.A. Wallberg, fut chargé des travaux. L’atelier servait à la construction de wagons à voyageurs magnifiquement aménagés . À partir de la pose des roues à un bout du bâtiment jusqu’à la sortie par les gigantesques portes l’autre bout, des charpentiers et des machinistes ont participé à la construction des wagons au fini impeccable. Après 1910, l’atelier servira à la réparation des voitures
Location. 46° 14.01′ N, 63° 7.258′ W. Marker is in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker is on Prince Street just from Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Prince Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 0C4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Threaded Together with Iron and Steel (a few steps from this marker); Hillsborough Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Railway Brass Shop (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Hillsborough River (about 120 meters away); Heralded Arrival… of the Circus (about 180 meters away); Great George Street Historic District (about 180 meters away); The Gainsford House (about 210 meters away); Survey of the Gulf and River St. Lawrence (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottetown.
More about this marker. Today the building is called Founder's Hall and is a part of the Visitors Information Centre.
Also see . . . CN Car Shop / Founders Hall - CADC. The Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) completed the total restoration and refurbishment of the former CN Car Shop on July 1, 2001. This historic building was built in 1906, during the railway era, and was used to do repairs on the locomotives. The brick exterior shell was repointed and the most significant feature of the building, its large round top windows, were all completely restored. (Submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.