Buda in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Onion Creek Post Oﬃce and Stagecoach House)
The McElroy-Severn House (Stagecoach House) is an outstanding example of a late-19th century modified center-passage dwelling. It is a five-bay, side-gabled frame dwelling with a hipped roof porch that stretches across the entire south facade. Features also include limestone chimneys plastered with concrete and interior walls framed with cedar. Several major remodeling campaigns in 1885, 1900 and 1920 have substantially enlarged the house. The adjacent 1876 one-room post office is noteworthy for its fine craftsmanship, solid limestone construction and carved stone lintels. A single door face the rear east wing of the stagecoach house and a small, single-pane window is cut out of its east wall. Other historic resources on site include a brick and limestone well, a concrete
Marker is the property of the State of Texas
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17245.)
Location. 30° 5.215′ N, 97° 50.139′ W. Marker is in Buda, Texas, in Hays County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hawk Lane and Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Stagecoach Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 880 Main Street, Buda TX 78610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buda (approx. half a mile away); Antioch Colony (approx. 0.9 miles away); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Manchaca United Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Education in Manchaca (approx. 3.8 miles away); Dr. Jacob Tally Wilhite (approx. 5.4 miles away); Boggy Creek Masonic Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cementerio Mexicano de Maria de la Luz (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buda.
Categories. • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.