Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near St. Mary's in Pleasants County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Vaucluse

 
 
Vaucluse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, January 11, 2015
1. Vaucluse Marker
Inscription. Named for the French town which was made famous by the poet, Petrarch. It was established in 1837 by Alexander H. Creel and was the business center of a large area until St. Marys became the county seat.
 
Erected 2008 by West Virginia Archives & History.
 
Location. 39° 23.173′ N, 81° 14.13′ W. Marker is near St. Mary's, West Virginia, in Pleasants County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 2 0.2 miles south of Old Greens Run Road (County Route 14), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys WV 26170, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Gordon C. Greene / Captain Mary Becker Greene (approx. 0.3 miles away in Ohio); Hi Carpenter Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Pleasants County / State of Ohio (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Mary's (approx. 1.6 miles away); Early Settlers (approx. 2.3 miles away); Harrisville (approx. 15.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Vaucluse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, January 11, 2015
2. Vaucluse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement