Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Pecos in Reeves County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pope's Crossing

 
 
Pope's Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, December 23, 2014
1. Pope's Crossing Marker
Inscription. Used by emigrants and the Southern (Butterfield) Overland Mail which linked St. Louis and San Francisco with semi-weekly mail, 1858-1861. Headquarters in 1855 of Captain John Pope, supervisor of the drilling of the first deep well west of the 98th meridian. They struck water at 244 feet but sank to 1140 hoping to strike artesian flow. The well caved before its value could be determined. This $100,000 experiment pointed the way to deep well drilling in the Great Plains.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4071.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 31° 56.701′ N, 103° 59.571′ W. Marker is near Pecos, Texas, in Reeves County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 285 and County Route 453, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 285. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pecos TX 79772, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Red Bluff Dam (approx. 7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. One of the large granite "Star and Wreath" type monument markers placed by the
Pope's Crossing Marker site image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, December 23, 2014
2. Pope's Crossing Marker site
State of Texas during the state's centennial year of 1936.
 
Regarding Pope's Crossing. Crossing site was 4.9 miles northeast, in Loving County. Now under Red Bluff Lake. (1964)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement