Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Discovering Layers of the Past

 
 
Discovering Layers of the Past Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
1. Discovering Layers of the Past Marker
Inscription. This area demonstrates that there are many layers of the past at St. Mary's City. Artifacts have come out of the ground here from a span of nearly nine thousand years, starting with prehistoric Native American sites and continuing through recent times.

After the first capital at St. Mary's was abandoned in the 1700s, this property was farmed. During the 1840s, Dr. John Mackall Brome built a large Greek Revival-style house, along with various outbuildings supporting an 1,800-acre plantation.

Archaeologists discovered that Dr. Brome's house stood over the ruins of another house built by Governor Leonard Calvert at the town center in about 1635, more than two centuries earlier. The Historic St. Mary's City Commission decided in 1991 to relocate the Brome-era buildings in order to be able to study and interpret the Calvert house and the original town.

“The landscape is a palimpsest on to which each generation inscribes its own impressions and removes some of the marks of earlier generations… ” — Micheal Aston and Trevor Rowley Landscape Archaeology, 1974.
 
Location. 38° 11.075′ N, 76° 26.026′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Old State
Discovering Layers of the Past Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
2. Discovering Layers of the Past Marker
House Road. Touch for map. In Historic St. Mary's City along a walkway called Aldermanbury Street. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Arrival of Governor Copley (within shouting distance of this marker); Mathias de Sousa (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); In 1648 Margaret Brent Asks for “Vote...And Voyce” (about 400 feet away); Upon This Shore (about 500 feet away); St. Mary’s City (about 700 feet away); Leonard Calvert (about 700 feet away); Governing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fear of War, People of Peace (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
The Bromes image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
3. The Bromes
Sisters Jeanette Brome Howard and Suzette Brome Bennett, granddaughters of the builder, inherited the Brome estate and donated the land on which the reconstructed State House was built in 1934. Jeanette Howard's sons J. Spence Howard, Jr. and Thomas Howard, sold this property to the state of Maryland in 1979 to enable the remains of colonial St. Mary's City to be preserved and interpreted for the public.
Close-up of photo on marker
The Calvert House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
4. The Calvert House
The Calvert house fell into ruins and dismantled by 1710. In the 1980s archaeologists succeeded in locating the foundations and chimney bases of the structure, which have now been capped with modern brick. a ghost frame demonstrates the unusual M-shaped roof.
Close-up of plat on marker
Gardens image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
5. Gardens
The Calvert house fell into ruins and dismantled by 1710. In the 1980s archaeologists succeeded in locating the foundations and chimney bases of the structure, which have now been capped with modern brick. a ghost frame demonstrates the unusual M-shaped roof.
Close-up of plat on marker
The Wharf image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
6. The Wharf
Dr. Brome owned a bustling steamship wharf just north of the present Maryland Dove dock, starting in the 1840s. During the Civil War, the Union Navy apparently destroyed this wharf in an effort to stop smuggling activities. It was rebuilt in 1874 and steamboats continued to be the primary means of travel to St. Mary's until the 1930s.
Steamboat Wharf image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
7. Steamboat Wharf
Brome House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
8. Brome House
The Brome house has new life as an inn and restaurant located on Rosecroft Road in St. Mary;s City. In selecting a new location and orienting the buildings, great care was taken to replicate the setting and maintain the integrity of the original complex, including planting Gingko trees along the driveway.
Leonard Calvert's House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
9. Leonard Calvert's House
Ghost Structure marking the position of Leonard Calvert's House
Brome-Howard House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
10. Brome-Howard House
In its new location at 18281 Rosecroft Road in St. Mary's City.
The Brome<br>1840<br>Howard Inn image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
11. The Brome
1840
Howard Inn
Brome Howard House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 11, 2015
12. Brome Howard House
The Brome Howard Inn is now the Inn at Brome Howard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on January 14, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement