St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sharing Land and Legacy
After Maryland's capital was moved to Annapolis in 1695, the original State House of 1676 was given to the Anglican (later Episcopal) Church as a place of worship. Torn down in 1829, its old bricks were re-used in the church that serves an active congregation here today. Markers showing the location of the original State House can be seen in the cemetery.
In 1840, the state of Maryland founded St. Mary's Female Seminary as a “Monument School of the People.” In 1844, the Episcopal parish sold some of its land to the state so that building could begin. The seminary grew into St. Mary's College of Maryland, a distinguished coeducational public honors college.
The Historic St. Mary's Commission was created by the State of Maryland in 1966 to preserve, study, and interpret the history of the first capital. The three “Cs” — Church, College, and Commission—work together as neighbors to protect and care for this beautiful site.
“St. Mary's City is recognized by the Department of the Interior as a property of national significance. The district is probably the most intact 17th-century
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 11.231′ N, 76° 26.065′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Old Statehouse Road near Trinity Church Road when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The St. Mary’s Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Governing (a few steps from this marker); Saint Mary’s Female Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); After the Disastrous Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Calvert (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Allen Senior (about 300 feet away); Entrance to First State House of Maryland (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Also see . . . St. Mary's City National Historic Landmark. (PDF) SM-29 National Register of Historic (Submitted on January 21, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on January 21, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.