Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Eisenhower National Historic Site
The site is only a seven minute shuttle bus ride from the Visitors Center. Tickets are available in the Visitor Center lobby.
Eisenhower National Historic Site is the presidential and retirement home of Dwight D. Eisenhower. Purchased by the Eisenhowers in 1950, the farm served as a presidential retreat, a meeting place for world leaders, and as the temporary White House in times of illness.
Today, the site remains largely unchanged from those Cold War years when the President proudly gave each visiting dignitary a tour of the farm's cattle operation in his golf cart. Black Angus still graze in the pastures, Eisenhower's farm equipment is on display in the barns, and the home retains its original furnishings.
Dwight D. Eisenhower 1890-1969: From Abilene to Gettysburg
Eisenhower grew up in Abilene, Kansas. His family was of modest means. While his father worked in the local creamery, Ike and his brothers did the the farm chores. Eisenhower left Abilene in 1911 for a tuition-free education at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
Camp Colt 1918
One of Eisenhower's first assignments after graduating from West Point in 1915 was as commander of Camp Colt, Gettysburg, the U.S. Army Tank Training Center during World War I. Although awarded a promotion to Lt. Colonel, Eisenhower
In 1942, six months after the United States entered World War II, Eisenhower was appointed to command the Allied invasion of North Africa. The following year he was named Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, and on June 6, 1944 led the Allied invasion of Northern Europe.
The White House 1956
Eisenhower was elected president in 1952, and handily won re-election in 1956. Rising Cold War tensions, the struggle for civil rights, and a very strong economy marked his eight years in office. He ended the Korean War, established the Interstate Highway System, and signed the first civil rights bill since Reconstruction.
Eisenhower used the relaxed setting of his farm to get to know world leaders like Khrushchev and Nehru prior to discussing world issues. He spent his retirement years in Gettysburg pursuing his hobbies, writing his memoirs, and managing his cattle heard. He resided at his farm with his wife, Mamie, until his death in 1969.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 49.071′ N, 77° 13.988′ W. Marker was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker was Touch for map. Located beside the old Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center, in the north parking lot. Marker was in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Gettysburg Address (within shouting distance of this marker); 12th Massachusetts (within shouting distance of this marker); 1st New Hampshire Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Soldiers' National Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Lincoln Speech Memorial (about 400 feet away); Lincoln Address Memorial (about 400 feet away); 88th Pennsylvania Volunteers (about 400 feet away); First Massachusetts Light Battery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. The upper portion of the marker contains a map of the farm indicating the major buildings to include the main house and barn. An inset photograph of the house is in the upper center. In the lower portion of the marker are photographs from the five periods of Eisenhower's life discussed in the text.
Regarding Eisenhower National Historic Site. Because of relocation of the Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center, this marker may be relocated in the future.
Also see . . . Eisenhower National Historic Site. National Park Service site. (Submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, Cold •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,873 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.