Memphis in Saunders County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Armour and Company Icehouse
A manmade lake of about 100 acres was filled each fall from Silver Creek. Harvesting began when the ice was eight inches thick. It was scored, sawed, and the blocks poled along an open channel to elevators and into the ice rooms, where they were packed in sawdust. In the spring the lake was drained, leaving a small fish pond.
The ice was used in refrigerated railcars and meat-packing plants, and was also sold to businesses in eastern Nebraska. In 1899, 100,000 tons of ice were harvested. It was common to ship 100 or more railcars of ice each month during the summer. Twenty-five employees lived nearby, and 300 men were hired during the busy season. The icehouse burned in 1921. In 1930 Memphis State Recreation Area was established at the site of the icehouse and lake.
Ashland-Saline Ford Historical Preservation Society, 1998
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Nebraska State Historical Society
Memphis State Recreation Area, on Nebr. 63 at Memphis
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 5.876′ N, 96° 26.191′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Nebraska, in Saunders County. Marker is on State Highway 63. Touch for map. This marker is located at the Memphis State Recreation Area just west of Memphis, Nebraska. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis NE 68042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Honor Of John McBride Belnap (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Ox-Bow Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away); Melia (approx. 8.4 miles away); Native Americans in the Lower Platte Valley (approx. 8.5 miles away); Platte River (approx. 9.1 miles away); Saunders County (approx. 12.4 miles away); USS Wahoo SS238 (approx. 12.4 miles away); U.S.S. Wahoo SS 238 (approx. 12.4 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2015, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2015, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.