Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
U Street Corridor (Shaw) in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church

1425 V Street, NW

 

—African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC —

 
Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 4, 2008
1. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church began in 1858 when African American congregants of the Saint Matthew's Church departed to organize their own day school. The group raised funds—even held an event on the White House lawn—and eventually constructed a school and a chapel on 15th Street, north of L Street. Opening in 1866, the Blessed Martin de Porres School and Chapel soon became the center of a separate black parish, Saint Augustine’s. In 1961 the church merged with the predominantly white Saint Paul’s Church at this corner to form Saints Paul and Augustine Church. Twenty-one years later, the church returned to the name Saint Augustine’s.

[Photo caption:]
St. Augustine's chapel at 15th and L Streets, NW.
St. Augustine Church.

Greater U Street Historic District, DC
 
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC - Funded by the DC Historic Preservation Office.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington, DC African American Heritage Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 55.096′ N, 77° 2.06′ W. Marker is in U Street Corridor (Shaw), District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street and V Street, NW, on
Wide view of Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 25, 2015
2. Wide view of Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church Marker
15th Street. Touch for map. The marker is accessible to pedestrians at the main entrance to the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1425 V Street, NW, Washington DC 20009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meridian Hill Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul Laurence Dunbar Apartments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Shared Neighborhood (about 500 feet away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary House (about 600 feet away); Buchanan (about 600 feet away); James Buchanan (about 700 feet away); A Gathering Place for Washingtonians (about 700 feet away); Mrs. Henderson's Legacy (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in U Street Corridor (Shaw).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This link is to a marker at the site of the original church.
 
Also see . . .  St. Augustine...“The Mother Church of Black Catholics in the Nation's Capital.”. “Saint Augustine Parish traces its heritage to 1858 and the efforts of a group of dedicated emancipated Black Catholics. Faced with a society that was not yet willing to put off the last vestiges of slavery and a Church that, at best, tolerated the presence of Black people in its
Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, August 4, 2008
3. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church
congregation, these men and women founded a Catholic school and chapel on 15th Street under the patronage of Blessed Martin de Porres. In what is perhaps a touch of historical irony, this school was operating four years before mandatory free public education of Black children became law in the Nation’s Capital. After operations were briefly interrupted by the Civil War, a new church was built and dedicated to Saint Augustine in 1876. From its beginning, Saint Augustine was the parish of Black Catholics in Washington, DC. A tradition of lay efforts and of determination flourished.” (Submitted on August 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 
 
Additional keywords. parochial schools
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches & Religion
 
Martin de Porres Chapel, 1864 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Saint Augustine Church
4. Martin de Porres Chapel, 1864
The original Saint Augustine RC Church, 1876-1946 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Saint Augustine Church
5. The original Saint Augustine RC Church, 1876-1946
Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 3, 2010
6. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church
Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church interior and altar image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 24, 2016
7. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church interior and altar
Stained glass from Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 24, 2016
8. Stained glass from Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church
You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Augustine of Hippo
Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church pipe organ image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 24, 2016
9. Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church pipe organ
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,067 times since then and 74 times this year. Last updated on January 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3, 4, 5. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   6. submitted on April 10, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   7, 8, 9. submitted on July 24, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement