Pewaukee in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Waukesha Beach Amusement Park
From Memorial Day to Labor Day, tens of thousands visited the park from Milwaukee & Waukesha by way of the interurban (TMER&L) train, much of which now serves as the Waukesha County bike/hiking trail. By the late 1930’s, financial problems and increased auto ownership led to the final abandonment of operations to the park on July 21, 1941. The interurban totally ceased operations on July 2, 1951.
After World War II, Waukesha Beach became less of an attraction & the entire park closed in 1949. Today, the original 20 acres used for the amusement park are known as “Beach Park”, a subdivision of homes.
Funded by Augie Revoy
Erected 2009 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 26-03.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pewaukee WI 53072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pewaukee Village (approx. 2.8 miles away); Clark House Museum (approx. 2.9 miles away); Moor Mud Baths Hotel (approx. 4.5 miles away); Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Lapham Peak (approx. 4.7 miles away); Weber Brewery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Waukesha Engine Division (approx. 4.7 miles away); Dunbar Oak (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pewaukee.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. All relate to TMER&L (The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co.)
Categories. • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,709 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on January 29, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on May 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.