Saline County Cemetery
In June of 1872 Saline County obtained ownership of the North East Quarter of Section 25 for, and to be used as, "a country farm and asylum for the poor" except an one acre tract to be used as a cemetery. This site is the one acre tract known as the Saline County Cemetery. The first burial was in 1873 and the last burial in 1927. The cemetery was officially closed in 1948.
There are records that indicated 62 people were buried at this site however, at the time of restoration (1988), there was no evidence that any monuments had ever been erected. The markers that are located in the cemetery show the location of the graves, however the individual graves cannot be identified. A common marker/plaque is located in the center of the cemetery.
No records could be located that indicated that the cemetery was ever formally dedicated or blessed. On May 28, 1990, Father Kerry Ninemier representing the Salina Ministerial Association conducted a blessing during a formal dedication ceremony.
Although this section was land traditionally referred to as "the poor farm" that term was a misnomer. At this [sic - the] time this section was developed Saline County did not have a hospital, retirement home, nursing home or residential center for the indigent - The County Poor Farm served all these purposes. Not all people interred at this cemetery
Saline County Kansas
This marker is dedicated to
The early residents of Saline County
Who are interred at this site
Anderson, Aaron 1903, April 28 ∙ Anderson, David 1879, September 16 ∙ Beers, George 1921, September 24 ∙ Berger, A.N. 1907, August 30 ∙ Betzer, John 1907 May 27 ∙ Brauthinger, James 1919, December 30 ∙ Craig, James 1927, February 3 ∙ Danes, James 1927, December 12 ∙ Davis, Frank 1878, January 28 ∙ Diem, Ealisbeth 1899, August 24 ∙ Drew, Infant of Anna Drew 1893, March 29 ∙ Duff, Mahalia 1882, August 29 ∙ Eckman, Fred 1919, March 7 ∙ Edwards, Elvira 1899, September 2 ∙ Ericson, Eric 1909, November 4 ∙ Farmer, William 1924, January 26 ∙ Frant, Lawrence 1924, December 7 ∙ Gordomer, Philip 1895, July 9 ∙ Hedstrom, John 1920, November 30 ∙ Hinkle, William 1921, December 12 ∙ Hutchinson, C.C. 1918, November 24 ∙ Ingram, Walter 1924, May 3 ∙ Jett, H.D. 1903, May 19 ∙ Johnson, John 1881, February 14 ∙ Jonson, Jon 1899, November 3 ∙ Knott, Charles 1926, March 12 ∙ Knowles, Louis 1917, October 29 ∙ Lagergen, Joseph 1919, December 10 ∙ Lewis, James 1925,
Location. 38° 48.353′ N, 97° 42.361′ W. Marker is near Salina, Kansas, in Saline County. Marker is on Lightville Road half a mile south of Cloud Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salina KS 67401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. M60 Main Battle Tank (approx. 5.6 miles away); Memorial Hall (approx. Fox-Watson Theatre (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Founders of the Salina Town Company (approx. 5.7 miles away); Oakdale/Carver Pool (approx. 5.9 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 5.9 miles away); Founders Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); Gen. John A. Logan (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salina.
Also see . . .
1. Saline County Cemetery at Find A Grave. (Submitted on February 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Saline County in Cutler's History of Kansas (1883). (Submitted on February 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Salina Kansas Booklet from Early 20th Century. (Submitted on February 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on February 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 3, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.