Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McPherson in McPherson County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

One Main Place

Plaza Dedication October 8, 1999

 
 
One Main Place Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 30, 2012
1. One Main Place Marker
Inscription.

On this site was located the McPherson Town Company Building built in 1873 at a cost of $1,250.00. It was the headquarters of all government and civic activity for the little village as a court house, city hall, school house, church meeting place, as well as newspaper office. The building, along with all of the buildings in the block, was destroyed by a fire on March 1, 1883. A large hotel was then built and named the Union Hotel, later to be known as the McCourt. Here in 1887 the city hosted the Kansas State House of Representatives in an effort to relocate the State Capitol to McPherson. The hotel building was demolished in 1984 to accommodate a building expansion of the McPherson Bank & Trust Co., the town's first bank which was organized in 1878. The McPherson Bank & Trust Co. created this beautiful plaza for the people of McPherson as an outdoor civic center for this community's many activities. Today the City of McPherson accepts this plaza as a gift from the Bank of America, and rededicates its use to all citizens of the McPherson community.
 
Erected 1999 by City of McPherson.
 
Location. 38° 22.232′ N, 97° 40.025′ W. Marker is in McPherson, Kansas, in McPherson County. Marker is at the intersection

One Main Place Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 30, 2012
2. One Main Place Marker
Looking northwest
of Main Street and Marlin Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Main Street, McPherson KS 67460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. POW-MIA Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McPherson County War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Company D, 2nd Kansas Infantry World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Major General James B. McPherson (about 800 feet away); McPherson Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Kansas Indian Treaty (approx. 6.3 miles away); Sora Kansas Creek (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McPherson.
 
Also see . . .  McPherson County in Cutler's History of Kansas (1883). (Submitted on February 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
One Main Place Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 30, 2012
3. One Main Place Marker Detail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement