Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Malvern in Carroll County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Great Trail / The Ohio Country in the Revolution

 
 
The Great Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 8, 2015
1. The Great Trail Marker
Inscription. Side A
The Great Trail
Gateway to the Ohio Country
The ancient trail that passed near this spot was the major overland route entering the Ohio Country from the east through the 1700s. Also known as the Tuscarawas Path, the Great Trail was used by Native Americans, European explorers, fur traders, missionaries, military expeditions, land agents-and settlers after Ohio became a state. In January 1761, during the French and Indian War, Major Robert Rogers and thirty-eight rangers passed en route to Fort Pitt after taking Fort Detroit from the French. In 1764, during "Pontiac's Conspiracy," Colonel Henry Bouquet crossed here with an army of 1,500 men on his way to Goshachgunk (Coshocton), where he treated with the Delaware and freed captives. During the American Revolution, the Continental Army under General Lachlan McIntosh camped here for two days in November 1778.

Side B
The Ohio Country in the Revolution The western wilderness that later became the state of Ohio played a major role in American, British, and Native American strategy during the American Revolution. In 1778, General George Washington ordered General Lachlan McIntosh to establish a new fort in Ohio to provide a base for a spring campaign on Fort Detroit, held by the British and allied tribes. That fall McIntosh
The Ohio Country in the Revolution Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 8, 2015
2. The Ohio Country in the Revolution Marker
set out from Fort Pitt with over 1,200 troops. On the nights of November 13 and 14, 1778, McIntosh's expedition camped at this site. They subsequently joined forces with friendly Delawares and proceeded west to the Tuscarawas River, where they fulfilled their mission by establishing Fort Laurens. Located at present-day Bolivar, it was the only Continental Army fort built in Ohio during the Revolution.
 
Erected 2010 by Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Ohio and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-10.)
 
Location. 40° 41.461′ N, 81° 11.212′ W. Marker is in Malvern, Ohio, in Carroll County. Marker can be reached from West Canal Street (Ohio Route 183), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in Village Park by the Military Memorial. Marker is in this post office area: Malvern OH 44644, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Malvern Veteran's Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Sandy and Beaver Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles E. Wilson (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sandy Valley Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery
The Great Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 8, 2015
3. The Great Trail Marker
(approx. 6.3 miles away); Clearview Golf Club, 1946 (approx. 6 miles away); Veterans Recognition Day (approx. 7 miles away); “Fighting McCook” Home (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Malvern.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Ohio Country in the Revolution Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 8, 2015
4. The Ohio Country in the Revolution Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 8, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement