Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
Erected 1947 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de sites et des monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 46° 48.747′ N, 71° 12.223′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker is on Rue du Petit Champlain just from Rue Sous le Fort, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Rue du Petit Champlain, Québec, Quebec G1K 4G8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Funiculaire / Funicular (here, next to this marker); Louis Jolliet House (a few steps from this marker); Mathieu d'Amours (within shouting distance of this marker); Hôtel Chevalier (within shouting distance of this marker); Maison Jean-Demers Champlain Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); L'Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Le Château Frontenac (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
More about this marker. The marker is to the left of the funiculaire.
Also see . . . Louis Jolliet - Virtual Museum of New France. The journey by canoe to the Mississippi began in mid-May, 1673. One month later, the Mississippi unfurled before the canoeists. Turning southward, they paddled downstream until they reached the area that is today the boundary between Louisiana and Arkansas. In the middle of July, fearing “to deliver themselves to the Spaniards of Florida if they advanced further,” Jolliet and Marquette resolved to return the way they had come. They were disappointed not to have reached the mouth of the river, but they had established that the Mississippi did indeed discharge its waters into the Gulf of Mexico. They noted the existence of other rivers flowing westwards, clinging to the belief (Submitted on February 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.