Near Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
New Guns for an Old Fort
1830 - The first guns to be positioned were considered adequate to sink the wooden-hulled ships of a passing naval flotilla.
1872-1898 - The fort was redesigned after the Civil War and made larger; more powerful guns were installed. New technology in casting from cannon made it possible to produce powerful 15-inch Rodman Cannon capable of hurling a 434-pound, 15-inch explosive sphere three miles. These guns were installed in 1896.
1898-1920 - A pair of rapid fire 4-inch guns of the Endicott period were placed on top of the thick concrete emplacement known as Battery White. The principal role of these two smaller guns was to protect the minefield in the river channel. These guns were part of a large and elaborate 341-acre fort system designed to sink heavily armored naval ships.
Location. 38° 42.708′ N, 77° 2.129′ W. Marker is near Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Fort Washington
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Water Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Shot and Shell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Water Battery (about 300 feet away); Minefields (about 300 feet away); Self-Destruction (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Fort Washington’s Waterside Trail (about 400 feet away); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (about 400 feet away); Caponiere (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. The marker displays drawings of a 24-pounder seacoast gun on barbette mount, a 15-inch Rodman on a center pivot mount, and a 4-inch rapid fire gun on a shielded mount.
Also see . . . Fort Washington. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on July 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.