Baird in Callahan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Recreated August 21, 1876
Organized July 3, 1877
Named in Honor of
James H. Callahan, 1812-1856
Soldier in the Texas Revolution
Captain of the Texas Rangers
County Seat, Callahan City, 1877
Belle Plain, 1877-1883; Baird Since
Two early military roads, the
Chisholm Trail, and the first
government telegraph line
traversed this region
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 634.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 23.682′ N, 99° 23.657′ W. Marker is in Baird, Texas, in Callahan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 4th Street (Business Interstate 20) and Market Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Callahan County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Baird TX 79504, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Callahan County War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Callahan County Courthouse Historic National Bankhead Highway (a few steps from this marker); Pioneers (a few steps from this marker); Baby Treaty Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Pecan C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Baird (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Callahan Jail (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baird.
Also see . . . Callahan County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on February 13, 2015.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 13, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.