Near Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Mortar Battery
The rate of fire of these weapons depended upon the speed and skill of the 12 men needed to serve each mortar. The practiced teamwork of 96 men rushing to load, aim, fire, and reload these eight heavy weapons reflected the log hours devoted to gun drills. Men of the 17th and 37th Company Coast Artillery Corps, served this battery from 1900 to 1913.
Location. 38° 42.582′ N, 77° 1.527′ W. Marker is near Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Fort Washington Park, beside Battery Meigs. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Firepower on the Potomac (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Warburton Manor” (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Washington Park (approx. 0.4 miles Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns (approx. 0.4 miles away); Capital Guardian (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (approx. 0.4 miles away); Main Gateway (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. The upper portion of the marker is a photograph of a mortar battery during drills. Below the text is a depiction of a mortar crew loading a weapon.
Also see . . . Fort Washington. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on July 26, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.