Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham

Un club de golf sur les plaines d’Abraham

 

—(1874-1915) —

 
A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 25, 2014
1. A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham Marker
Click on this image to view the golf course plan.
Inscription. English:
When the British troops went back to England in 1871, they left free their drill field, then known as “Cove Fields”. The rising popularity of golf in the province of Quebec prompted fans of the game to establish the Royal Quebec Golf Club (1874) and occupy the vacant land.

A course was laid out with fourteen holes, four of which golfers would play twice to come up the regulation number of eighteen. A round of the course was not simply a relaxing diversion, as the names of the holes suggest and was made even more challenging by the cliff plunging down to the St. Lawrence River below.

The grass was initially maintained by a dairyman’s cattle, which later gave way to a horse drawn mechanical mower. A chalet, near where the Cross of Sacrifice stands today, was placed at the golfer’s disposal.

An elite sport

Proper attire for the sport was suitable (red jacket imported from England, grey trousers, matching shirt and tie) and some golfers even wore gloves. The Royal Golf Club, a preserve of the English-speaking elite of Quebec, accepted its first French-Canadian member, Jean-Georges Garneau, in 1890. He was mayor of the city of Quebec (1906-1910), first chairman of the National Battlefields Commission (1908-1939) and president of the Royal Quebec
A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 25, 2014
2. A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham Marker
Golf Club (1920-1921).

Cove Fields: a public park

After the creation of the National Battlefields Commission Park in 1908, the flow of visitors to Cove Fields steadily increased and work to develop the site made golfing a more and more hazardous pastime. This situation coincided with an offer of land at Courville, where the Royal Quebec Golf Club moved in 1915. In 1925, the club relocated to Boischatel, where it remains today.

French:
Quand le troupes britanniques regagnèrent l’Angleterre en 1871, elles lassaient libre leur champ d’exercices, alors appelé «Cove Fields». La popularité montante du golf au Québec suggéra à ses adeptes de créer le «Royal Québec Golf Club» (1874) et d’occuper ce terrain devenu vacant.

On aménagea un parcours de quatorze trous, dont quatre où les golfeurs repassaient pour compléter les dix-huit trous réglementaires. Le parcours n’était pas de tout repos comme l’indiquent le nom des trous qui le composent, sans compter le précipice qui se jette dans le fleuve.

Au début, la pelouse était entretenue par les vaches d’un laitier; elles furent remplacées plus tard par une faucheuse mécanique tirée par un cheval. Un chalet, situé non loin d’où se trouve aujourd’hui la Croix du Sacrifice, était mis à la disposition des golfeurs.

Un sport d’élite

Pour les adeptes, le port du costume était de mise (veston rouge importé d’Angleterre, pantalon gris, chemises et cravates assorties), certains portaient même les gants blancs.
Le «Royal Québec Golf Club» réservé à l’elite anglophone de Québec, accepta en 1890 son premier membre canadien-français, Jean-George Garneau. Celui-ci était maire de la ville de Québec (1906-1939) (sic), premier president de la Commission des champs de bataille nationaux (1908-1939) et également président de Royal Québec (1920-1921).

Les «Cove Fields»: un parc public

Depuis la création du parc des Champs-de-Bataille nationaux (1908), les «Cove Fields» accueillaient de plus en plus de visiteurs et les travaux d’aménagement en cours rendaient la pratique du golf de plus en plus périlleuse . Cette situation coïncidant avec l’offre d’un terrain à Courville, décida le Royal Quebec d’y aménager en 1915. En 1925, il se réinstalla à Boischatel, où il est encoure aujourd’hui.
 
Erected by Parks Canada Parcs.
 
Location. 46° 48.235′ N, 71° 13.029′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker is on Avenue George VI, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Québec, Quebec G1R, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Do You Know Joan of Arc? (within shouting distance of this marker); O Canada! (within shouting distance of this marker); Martello Towers in Quebec / Tours Martello de Québec (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Montcalm (about 150 meters away); Martello Towers / Tours Martello (about 150 meters away); Québec Martello Towers (about 210 meters away); Frederick G. Todd (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Grande Allée Drill Hall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
 
More about this marker. This marker is in National Battlefields Park opposite Joan of Arch Garden.
 
Categories. Sports
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement