Newton in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
the establishment of Sussex County
by Act of the Legislature, June 8, 1753.
To Commemorate the setting up of
the Court of General Sessions and the
Inferior Court of Common Pleas by
decree of Governor Jonathan Belcher
in the name of King George II, October 13, 1753.
To commemorate the building of
the first Court House on this site in 1765.
This tablet is erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey in 1949
Erected 1949 by Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey.
Location. 41° 3.517′ N, 74° 45.21′ W. Marker is in Newton, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (U.S. 206) and Spring Street, on the right when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton NJ 07860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newton Green (here, next to this marker); Sussex County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Defenders of the Union (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Newton Green Home of Thomas Anderson (about 600 feet away); George Washington Tree (about 700 feet away); The Hill Memorial (about 700 feet away); Old Newton Burial Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.