Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Trenholm High School
Formal education for Tuscumbia’s African American children began in 1870 at the Freedman School taught by Judge Wingo and his daughter in a church at the foot of the hill. In July 1877, the Osborne Colored Academy was established by African Americans and named in honor of Sandy Osborne, one of the trustees and a barber at the Franklin House Hotel. Tuscumbia Colored Public School opened in 1887 with Pleas Barton, a former Osborne Academy trustee, as principal. The Public School’s first academic year concluded with graduation exercises in 1888.
Erected 2011 by Trenholm Alumni Association Inc., and Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation.
Location. 34° 43.549′ N, 87° 41.827′ W. Marker is in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Trenholm Memorial Drive east of South High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson's Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sacred Tears (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cold Water Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tuscumbia Big Spring (approx. half a mile away); Petrified Conifer Tree / Petrified Lycopod Tree Stump (approx. half a mile away); History of Tuscumbia, Alabama (approx. half a mile away); U. S. Army M60A3 Main Battle Tank (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscumbia.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.