Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
North Adams Street and Middle Lane Residential Area
The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in Rockville. The original portion is the two-story, two-room attic and lean-to on its northwest corner. It was built by Philip Jenkins and rented out. The property was enlarged and had a stable by 1866. The Victorian addition on the south was added in 1887 by the Miller family. It is currently used as a law office.
The house pictured, 101 North Adams Street, is built around a log dwelling that dates to the late 18th century. Two lots with a small house were sold by W. P. Williams, the subdivider of "Williamsburgh," to Thomas Perry Willson in 1799 for 40 pounds. The log dwelling faced Middle Lane until remodeled in the 1920s to front upon Adams.
The front portion of 106 North Adams is a log-framed clapboard-covered dwelling built around 1825 by Rev. Joseph Jones of the recently-formed Bethel Baptist Church. It is a two-story, four-room Federal house with Greek Revival detailing. George Peters Jr. and his wife Lavinia added several 19th century additions to accommodate their seven children. It was again enlarged and restored in the 20th century. It remains a private home.
Marker series. Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
Location. 39° 5.105′ N, 77° 9.278′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Middle Lane and North Adams Street, on the right when traveling west on West Middle Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Higgins House (here, next to this marker); Beall-Dawson House and Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Beall-Dawson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Beall-Dawson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
Also see . . . Robb/HIggins/Ward House, 101 North Adams Street. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (PDF) (Submitted on July 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,665 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.