Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ogden in Weber County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop

232-234 - 25th Street

 
 
Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 27, 2014
1. Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed circa. 1893. The owners during this time period included Patrick H. Gallagher and William C. Warren, a loan officier and former real estate agent. The building replaced an earlier adobe and frame structure that was built on the lot before 1884. In 1894 Warren sold the lot to the Ogden Savings Bank. The bank owned it until 1933, when they sold it to the Real Estate Management Company. Other owners included Benjamin Knudson (1946-1950) and Josephine Branz (1961-1978). As part of the Historic District, the building was placed on the National Register in 1976 and on the local register in 1981.

The earliest businesses known to have occupied the building include Harry Jordan, Cigars and Tobacco (1895); Thomas Riche, Saloon (1900-1904; the Owl Saloon (1905-1912); and William Kent, Barber (1900-1909). Later occupants of the building include the Royal Shoe Repair Company (1916); the New Economy Store, which sold menís clothing (1925-1945); Georgeís Cafe (1946-1959); and the Ukeís Cafe (1970-1980). The building was extensively renovated in 1994 to accommodate Zona Rojaís and EVíR Greens.

This structure is a vernacular one-part commercial block structure with some elements of Victorian eclectic style. The structure is constructed of regular fired brick and rests on a sandstone block foundation.
Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 27, 2014
2. Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop Marker
A variety of corbeling patterns are evident throughout the entire length of the cornice. Vertical corbeling extends from the parapet to the ground on the outer and center brickwork of the front facade defining the bays.
 
Erected 1995 by Ogden City Landmarks Commission.
 
Location. 41° 13.25′ N, 111° 58.504′ W. Marker is in Ogden, Utah, in Weber County. Marker is on 25th Street (East 2500 South) near Lincoln Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 232-234 - 25th Street, Ogden UT 84401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Davenport Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Utah Trunk Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); ZCMI Co-op Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Belmont Building (within shouting distance of this marker); London Ice Cream Parlor (within shouting distance of this marker); Watkins Grocery and Cranshaw Photography (within shouting distance of this marker); Kansas City Liquor House (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Restaurant and Switch European Lodgings (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ogden.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Formerly Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 27, 2014
3. Formerly Harry Jordanís Cigar Shop
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement