Long Beach in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
City of Long Beach Centennial 1905-2005
First european settlers, Nicholas and Marianne Ladner, built a home in 1788 near Bear Point. Area first called "the chimneys" by coastal mariners after the landmark chimneys on the Ladner home. The village that developed in the 1800's was known as Rosalie, the name chosen by early settler J. J. McCaughan for his home. With the arrival of the railroad the area was named Scott's Station after George Scott who gave the land for the railroad station. On August 10, 1905, Governor James K. Vardaman issued a proclamation incorporating the Town of Long Beach. First meeting of municipal officers held October 3, 1905 in Woodman of the World Hall on site of present City Hall.
• • • ———— • • •
J.N. Whitten — Mayor — William Skellie, Jr.
James B. Cable — Clerk — Rebeca E. Schruff
D.L. Hays — Alderman — Charles Boggs
William Smith — Alderman — Richard Notter
W.N. Stevenson — Alderman — Richard Burton
Ed Sugden — Alderman — Joseph McNary
Louis Sugden — Alderman — Mark E. Lishen
Alderman — Richard Bennett
Alderman — Allen D. Holder, Jr.
905 ——— Population
Erected 2005 by the Long Beach Historical Society and the City of Long Beach.
Location. 30° 20.961′ N, 89° 9.031′ W. Marker is in Long Beach, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of Jeff Davis Avenue and East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on Jeff Davis Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Jeff Davis Avenue, Long Beach MS 39560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Long Beach Schools (here, next to this marker); Hurricane Katrina / Storm Recovery (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Bank and Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Long Beach Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Long Beach World War II Monument (about 800 feet away); War Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Long Beach (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Beach.
Also see . . . City of Long Beach website. (Submitted on February 24, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.