Convent in Saint James Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Manresa House of Retreats
The main building dates from 1842; the President's House and Gate Houses from 1836.
After Jefferson College failed in 1848, Louis Dufau of New Orleans operated the Louisiana College here; this college failed in 1856. In 1859, Valcour Aime purchased the site and erected a chapel in memory of his children. From 1862 - 1864, the Federal Troops occupied the buildings during the Civil War.
In 1864, Mr. Aime donated the properties to The Society of Mary (Marists) who established St. Mary's Jefferson College, which operated until 1927, when it closed.
The Jesuits purchased the properties in 1931 and since that time have conducted retreats based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits. Each year over 5,000 laypersons, religious and priests make retreats here.
Location. 29° 59.554′ N, 90° 49.24′ W. Marker is in Convent, Louisiana, in Saint James Parish. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: LA-44, Convent LA 70723, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabahanoce Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Convent (approx. 1.3 miles away); Judge Poché Plantation House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of First Acadian Settlers in Louisiana (approx. 2 miles away); St. Jacques de Cabahanoce (approx. 2.1 miles away); Oak Alley Plantation (approx. 2.8 miles away); Uncle Sam Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); James Mather (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Convent.
Also see . . . Manresa House of Retreats in Convent, Louisiana website. (Submitted on February 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 6. submitted on September 15, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.