Gretna in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Joseph Church
group of laymen, organized the mother
church of West Jefferson in 1857.
Previously Redemptorists crossing
the Mississippi from the city of
Lafayette had served the German, Irish,
French and American-born Catholics
of Mechanicks' Village or Mechanikham,
planned by surveyor Benjamin Buisson
with a square ground for a church.
Father (Later Canon) J.B. Bogaerts
served as pastor, 1863-1871, and
organized the St. Joseph Benevolent
Association. MSGR. P.M.H. Wynhoven
opened during his tenure, 1917-1935,
several of the 13 Parishes formed
up to now from the original
St. Joseph Parish.
Erected by the Archdiocese Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 29° 54.897′ N, 90° 3.698′ W. Marker is in Gretna, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and Lavoisier Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 6th Street, Gretna LA 70053, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mel Ott (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centennial Marker David Crockett Firehall (approx. ¼ mile away); Gretna City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Gretna (approx. 0.3 miles away); Derbigny Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Phoenix Iron Works (approx. 0.3 miles away); McDonoghville (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gretna.
Also see . . . Church website. (Submitted on February 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.