Charlotte Hall School
The only original school building still standing is the White House (ca.1803). Other associated buildings include Dent Memorial Chapel (ca. 1883) and the Principal’s House (ca. 1948), now the St. Mary’s County Visitor’s Center. The legacy of Charlotte Hall School lives on through the school’s Alumni Association which awards scholarships annually to local high school students.
In 1885, the State of Maryland opened the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home with a mission of “serving those who served.” The facility provides care for veterans on the beautiful 126 acre campus.
Reverend Hatch Dent
The Dent Chapel was built in 1883 in honor of the Reverend Hatch Dent. A Revolutionary War soldier, Dent was one of the Maryland 400 whose sacrifices saved the American
Erected by Rotary Club of Charlotte Hall.
Location. 38° 28.692′ N, 76° 46.68′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Hall, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Charlotte Hall Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Veterans Home-Charlotte Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Hall MD 20622, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé (within shouting distance of this marker); Coole Springs of Saint Marie’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N. (within shouting distance of this marker); No Match for British Might (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryland Begins Here (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Charlotte Hall School (about 700 feet away); Maxwell Hall (approx. 4.4 miles away); Rev. Lawrence Anthony Bender, S.S. (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte Hall.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.