Cross Hill in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cross Hill Confederate Monument
Terrified by Death
nor Dishonored by
Erected 1908 by Beaufort Watts Chapter U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 18.283′ N, 81° 59.033′ W. Marker is in Cross Hill, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 39) and Church Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cross Hill SC 29332, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rosemont (approx. 4.3 miles away); Siloam Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Belfast Plantation (approx. 7.8 miles away); Welcome to the Lake Greenwood State Recreation Area (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lake Greenwood (approx. 7.9 miles away); Francis Salvador (approx. 8.1 miles away); New Priorities of Protection (approx. 8.2 miles away); Rock Presbyterian Church (approx. 9 miles away).
1. First Laurens County Monument
The women of Cross Hill organized the Beaufort Ball Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy on August 12, 1902, and elected Mary T. Nance president. They named the chapter in honor of Beaufort Watts Ball, a Laurens lawyer who enlisted in in June 1861, as a private in the Watson Guards, Company B of the Hampton Legion. He remained in that regiment as it converted to mounted infantry in 1864 and by the close of the war had become adjutant with the rank of lieutenant. Ball passed through the war unscathed.
The women of the chapter decided at once to erect a monument and began to raise the $636 necessary for this, the first Confederate monument in Laurens County. They laid the cornerstone on May 10, 1908, and evidence suggests they erected the monument the same day. Within the cornerstone they placed a copy of the Laurens Advertiser, several other newspapers, a Confederate flag, Confederate coins and paper currency, a Bible, a history of the Ball Chapter, and names of the C.D.C. members and veterans. Dr. J.H. Miller delivered the address.
On June 3, 1908, they unveiled the monument. When J.J. McSwain, who was to make the address, missed his train, Colonel Horton of Waterloo was telephoned to speak. Dr. Miller made a short speech, and several young ladies unveiled the monument.
— Submitted November 23, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on March 4, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.