Colonel Fitzgerald was a close friend of General George Washington and he was his secretary and aide-de-camp during the American Revolution after the war. Colonel Fitzgerald served as mayor of the City of Alexandria (1787) and collector of the port (1798). He was a founder of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church.
Erected 1976 by American Irish Bicentennial Committe, The Colonel John Fitzgerald Division of the Ancient Order of the Hiberians, The George Washington Chapter of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.
Location. 38° 48.251′ N, 77° 2.412′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Union Street on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waterfront Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); Raise the White Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); Torpedo Factory Art Center / United States Naval Torpedo Station (Building Two) (about 300
Categories. • Politics • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.