Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
Québec Court House
Le palais de justice de Quebec
This building, designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché and other provincial Department of Public Works architects, was largely constructed between 1883 and 1887 on the site of the city's first court house. Its mansard roof, classical decoration, lively silhouette and rich stonework have contributed to its recognition as a fine example of Second Empire Style architecture. As originally planned the court house accommodated all the courts for the judicial district of Québec, making it one of the most substantial and sophisticated court houses in Canada. Courts sat in the building between 1887 and 1983.
Conçu par les architectes des Travaux publics du Québec, dont Eugène- Étienne Taché, cet édifice a été construit en grande partie entre 1883 et 1887 sur l'emplacement du premier palais de Justice de Québec. Le toit en mansarde, l'allure classique, le profil vivant et la riche maçonnerie de pierre en font un bel exemple du style Second Empire. Ce bâtiment a été construit pour loger tous les tribunaux du district judiciaire de Québec, ce qui en a fait l'un des palais de Justice les plus grands et les plus imposants du Canada. Les tribunaux ont siégé dans cet immeuble de 1887 à 1983.
Erected by Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Rue Saint Louis, Québec, Quebec G1R, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seneschal’s Court (here, next to this marker); Theatre de l’Estoc (a few steps from this marker); The Maillou House (a few steps from this marker); Kent House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jacquet House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The VII Royal Fusiliers (about 90 meters away); Le Château Frontenac (about 120 meters away); Joseph Bouchette (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.