Evergreen in Conecuh County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Evergreen Baptist Church
The church was organized March 15, 1845, in the home of George Brown. The organizing council consisted of Alexander Travis, Keidar Hawthorne, J.J. Sessions. Charter members were George and Mary Brown, Elbert and Louisa Joiner, Philoligas and Sarah Land and Richard Shipp.
The sanctuary building was constructed in a Tudor Revival style and dedicated Feb. 2, 1908. The Education Building was completed in 1950, with an extension, Croom Hall, dedicated in 1968. The Activities Building was constructed in 1974.
The Louise Short Widows and Orphans Home was founded on Main Street under the leadership of the church’s pastor, J.W. Stewart, in 1891. It moved to Troy in 1923 and was renamed the Alabama Baptist Children’s Home.
Castleberry Baptist Church began as a mission of the church in 1892. The Bower Mission began in the home of M.V. Bower on Pecan Street in 1958 and was dedicated as Bower Memorial Baptist Church in 1963.
Evergreen Baptist Church has ordained 16 men to the ministry, including Luther Moye, a missionary to Chile.
G. Longmire•Frank Brewner•Dr. Richard Hall
Alexander Travis•W.G. Curry•Dr. J.G. Dickinson
A.W. Jones•J.E. Bell•Earl Powell
W.C. Morrow•B.H. Crumpton•Alfred A. Staples
J.J. Sessions•J.W. Stewart•Dr.
W.D. Hubbard•P. Jackson Williamson
J.D. Kendrick•S.P. Lindsey•Phillip E. Weaver
Andrew Jay•Dr. A.G. Moseley
Long-term pastorates: Dr. J.G. Dickinson, 1914-1943;
Dr. Samuel A. Granade, 1948-1973;
Rev. P. Jackson Williamson, 1973-1995.
This memorial is placed to God’s glory in loving memory of dedicated deacon, Thurmond H. Gilmer by his wife, Marjorie, and daughter, Thurmond Ann Gilmer Boles.
Erected 1999 by the City of Evergreen.
Location. 31° 26.07′ N, 86° 57.135′ W. Marker is in Evergreen, Alabama, in Conecuh County. Marker is on Park Street 0.1 miles north of Cemetery Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Park Street, Evergreen AL 36401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conecuh County War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ernest Stanley Crawford, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Evergreen (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bank of Evergreen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alice's (approx. ¼ mile away); Alexander Travis Alabama Baptist Children’s Home Site (approx. half a mile away); Reverend Hillary James Hawkins, D.D. (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evergreen.
Also see . . . BCR Listening Post-Observation Post blog about marker. (Submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.