Evergreen in Conecuh County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Alabama Baptist Children’s Home Site
It was established by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1891 and was chartered by the Legislature of Alabama in the same year.
The idea had been approved by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1863 as a haven for children of soldiers killed in the War Between the States.
The Home opened on March 8, 1863, with the Reverend John W. Stewart as the first superintendent. For 30 years it served on this site.
On June 14, 1923, it was removed to Troy, Alabama, and in 1938 was renamed The Alabama Baptist Childrens’ Home.
Erected 1991 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 25.998′ N, 86° 56.612′ W. Marker is in Evergreen, Alabama, in Conecuh County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (County Road 42) and Cemetery Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 South Main Street, Evergreen AL 36401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Evergreen Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Conecuh County War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ernest Stanley Crawford, M.D. (approx. 0.7 miles away); City of Evergreen (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Bank of Evergreen (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alice's (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alexander Travis (approx. one mile away); Reverend Hillary James Hawkins, D.D. (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evergreen.
Regarding Alabama Baptist Children’s Home Site. In 1997 the Baptist ministry sold the property in Troy and moved its offices to Birmingham.
Also see . . . History of the Alabama Baptist Children’s Homes. (Submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.