Benjamin in Knox County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Old Rock Courthouse Cornerstone
Erected in Benjamin in 1891, when the officials of Knox County were: W.H. Benedict, T.P. Reeder, J.A. Spinks, G.B. Stewart.
T.D. Isbell – Sheriff.
Rock structure replacing wooden courthouse of 1886, was in use until 1935.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3871.)
Location. 33° 34.989′ N, 99° 47.594′ W. Marker is in Benjamin, Texas, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Cedar Street and S. Hinton Street (Texas Highway 6), on the right when traveling west on W. Cedar Street. Touch for map. Marker is along the front entry way to the Knox County courthouse on the south side of the courthouse grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Benjamin TX 79505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement in Knox County / L – Ranch (within shouting distance of this marker); Knox County (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasant C. Sams The Narrows (approx. 4.4 miles away); Brazos River Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away).
More about this marker. On the lower border of the marker is incised: "Presented by M.J. Spinks".
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.