Benjamin in Knox County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Recreated August 21, 1876
Organized March 20, 1886
Named in honor of
General Henry Knox
Major General of the
Continental Army, 1781
Secretary of War, 1785–1794
Benjamin, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 2970.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 35.013′ N, 99° 47.571′ W. Marker is in Benjamin, Texas, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of S. Hinton Street (State Highway 6) and W. Hays Street (U.S. 82), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the east side of the grounds of the Knox County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Benjamin TX 79505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement in Knox County / L – Ranch (a few steps from this marker); Original Old Rock Courthouse Cornerstone (within shouting distance Quanah Parker Trail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pleasant C. Sams (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Narrows (approx. 4.4 miles away); Brazos River Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Knox County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 8, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 8, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.