West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Main Arch Memorial
As part of the University's centennial celebration in 1971, a committee, headed by Dr. Constantine Johns, Professor of Music, and Dr. Russell Sturzebecker, Professor of Health and Physical Education, was formed to honor this historic building by reassembling part of its original components.
The building's stone entranceway arch and marble steps were recovered and reused in this memorial structure, constructed in 1997. The Old Main arch stands once again, as a gateway to the University's quad and a reminder of WCU's heritage.
Gifts from the centennial committee, the class of 1941, the class of 2005, and a presidential initiatives grant enabled this memorial.
Location. 39° 57.153′ N, 75° 35.818′ W. Marker is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from S. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the back side of the Arch Memorial on the West Chester University Campus. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Frederick Douglass (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Minquas Path (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Great Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Barnard Street Public School - Denney Tag Company (approx. half a mile away); Samuel Barber (approx. half a mile away); Star of the West, Tent No. Six (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thomas S. Butler House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Turk’s Head Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Chester.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,013 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.