Near Washington in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1947 by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 8.999′ N, 80° 19.682′ W. Marker is near Washington, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 40 and Coffeys Crossing Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 40. Touch for map. This marker is on the western approach to the city. Marker is in this post office area: Washington PA 15301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. National Road (here, next to this marker); Wolff’s Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); Augusta Town (approx. 0.6 miles away); “S” Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Regarding Washington. Washington was built on the site of an Indian village known as Catfish’s Camp, named for the Delaware Chief Catfish.
Also see . . . Washington County History. (Submitted on January 15, 2007.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,256 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.