Amherst in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Former Saint Mary of the Angels
Convent and Motherhouse of the Sisters of Saint Francis - 1928 to 1999
The 100 acre parcel was gradually subdivided, making way for residential development, for the new Holy Family Home in 1962, for Saint Francis Home in 1956, and for the new St. Mary of the Angels on Reist Street in 1999. In 1999 the remaining lands became Amherst State Park, and the former Motherhouse has been converted to St. Mary's Commons apartments for seniors.
Aerial view of the Motherhouse complex in the 1950's. Photo courtesy of Sisters of Saint Francis, Amherst, NY.
Location. 42° 58.385′ N, 78° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Mill Street, Buffalo NY 14221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williamsville Water Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Williamsville Christian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); SS. Peter & Paul Church (approx. ¾ mile away); U. S. Barracks 1812 (approx. ¾ mile away); War of 1812 Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Wolf's Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away); Earliest Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); A Tribute of Love (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amherst.
Also see . . .
1. Amherst State Park - History. (Submitted on March 15, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. St. Mary's Apartments. Current manager of the senior apartments here. (Submitted on March 15, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for Former Saint Mary of the Angels.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 15, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.