St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“…a convenient place for the administration of Justice.”
The original brick State House was located just north of here on a bluff that is now the cemetery of Trinity Episcopal Church. In that building the Maryland Assembly and courts of law met for nearly twenty years, until the capital moved to Annapolis in 1695.
This reconstruction, like its predecessor, is two and half stories tall. The main floor holds a large chamber for gatherings of the Assembly and the Provincial Court. On the second floor is a committee room for joint business of the Lower House and the Proprietor's Council, as well as the Council meeting room and Secretary's office. Fire-arms and gunpowder for public defense were kept under lock and key in the attic.
This building was constructed as the centerpiece of the Tercentenary Celebration in 1934, marking the 300th anniversary of the founding of Maryland.
“…there by and Equal Assessment uppon the taxable persons of the said province the sume of three hundred and thirty thousand pounds of Tobacco to be payed to John Quigley his heires Executors or
Location. 38° 11.222′ N, 76° 26.053′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Old State House Road when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47418 Old State House Road, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sharing Land and Legacy (a few steps from this marker); The St. Mary’s Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary’s Female Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); After the Disastrous Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leonard Calvert (about 400 feet away); Thomas Allen Senior (about 400 feet away); Entrance to First State House of Maryland (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Also see . . . Replica of the 1676 State House, 1934. (PDF) SM-11 Maryland Inventory of Historic Places. (Submitted on March 16, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Government • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.