Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

1st Ohio Cavalry

Long's Brigade - Crook's Division

 

—Stanley's Corps —

 
1st Ohio Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
1. 1st Ohio Cavalry Marker
Inscription.
1st Ohio Cavalry.
Long's Brig., Crook's Div., Stanley's Corps.

Major Thomas J. Patten.
Nov. 25, 1863.

This regiment, with its brigade, followed Gen. Sherman in crossing the Tennessee, and moving towards Cleveland advanced 13 miles on the 24th. The next day the regiment forced the 2nd Kentucky Confederate Cavalry out of Cleveland. On the 26th the 1st Ohio destroyed some ten miles of the railroad to Dalton. On the 27th the regiment, with the brigade, was attacked by Gen. J.H. Kelly's Brigade of Cavalry and retired skirmishing to Candy's Creek from which point the enemy withdrew, the command then returned to Chattanooga.
 
Erected 1908 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-253.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Ohio Reservation marker series.
 
Location. 35° 1.695′ N, 85° 15.484′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road 0.1 miles south of Ridge Road. Touch for map. This marker is located on Missionary Ridge, along South Crest Road, in the Ohio Reservation. This particular historical marker is in the row
1st Ohio Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
2. 1st Ohio Cavalry Marker
View looking east of the historical marker at it's location on the right (north) side of the Ohio Reservation, and at the western end of a series of Ohio historical markers, nearly 300 feet west of South Crest Road.
of markers that line the right (north) side property line of the Ohio Reservation. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, “Marker located on Missionary Ridge at the Ohio Reservation/1934 Map 124-19". Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3d Ohio Cavalry (here, next to this marker); 4th Ohio Cavalry (Battalion) (here, next to this marker); 10th Ohio Cavalry (here, next to this marker); 1st Ohio Sharpshooters (here, next to this marker); 18th Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker); 10th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Ohio at Chattanooga (a few steps from this marker); 21st Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “Bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes unit's activities during Battle of Missionary Ridge.”
 
Also see . . .  National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information
1st Ohio Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
3. 1st Ohio Cavalry Marker
View looking west of the historical marker at the area beyond the western crest of Missionary Ridge.
provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Ohio Reservation image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 10, 2010
4. Ohio Reservation
View of the National Park Service sign for the Ohio Reservation located at the western crest of Missionary Ridge, with the featured historical marker being located to the right and beyond the National Park Service sign.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on March 18, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement