Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
38th Indiana Infantry
Lieut. Col. D. F. Griffin.
Nov. 25, 1863.
Erected 1909 by the State of Indiana. (Marker Number MT-188.)
Location. 35° 0.633′ N, 85° 16.168′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road south of Old Ringgold Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historic marker (tablet) is located along the western side of the roadway, on the western crest of Missionary Ridge, just south of the intersection of South Crest Road with Old Ringgold Road. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, this “Bronze Tablet located on Missionary Ridge at 326 South Crest Road/1934 Map 159.". Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 South Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 33rd Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 2nd Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson's Division (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carlin's Brigade 94th Ohio Infantry (about 500 feet away); 42nd Indiana Infantry (about 700 feet away); Strahl's Brigade. (approx. 0.2 miles away); 88th Indiana Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the tablet is, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative egg & dart border mounted on low iron pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on March 18, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.