Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton
The First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton is the oldest congregation in the bounds of the original Village of Bradenton and the oldest south of Tampa. In 1885, land was deeded to five trustees for the planned Braidentown Presbyterian Church. Meanwhile, the future congregants met for Sunday School on a dock at the west end of Prospect Avenue, today’s 15th Street West. The Church body was constituted April 4, 1886 with thirteen members by the Reverend James Shearer, Evangelist of St. Johns Presbytery. PCUS. Services were held at the “Duckwall House” on the river on Old Main Street, now 12th Street. In 1887 William B. Tresca began construction of the first church building, on the south side of Manatee Avenue and east of present 9th street. The first church officers elected were David Duckwell as Elder, with W.O. Wilson and C.O. Muller, Deacons.
Erected by Manatee County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 29.738′ N, 82° 34.554′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street West and Manatee Avenue West (State Road 64), on the right when traveling south on 15th Street West. Touch for map. Marker is across the street from the sanctuary building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1402 Manatee Ave W, Bradenton FL 34205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured Courthouse Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bealls Centennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Florida Highway Patrol School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bradenton General Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); 9th Avenue West Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bradenton Depot (approx. half a mile away); Camp Weatherford (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on March 20, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.