Orange Beach in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Orange Beach, Alabama
Orange Beach was named for the oranges that were grown here and exported until the hard-freezes of 1916. The orange groves are gone, but the name remained. Drawn here by the game they hunted, the early Indians discovered the seafood bounty of the Gulf of Mexico. The shell mounds and archeological digs give evidence of thousands of years of Indian visits. The Spanish land grants of Samuel Suarez and William Kee were the beginnings of area development. Logging and pine sap collection (turpentine/naval stores) were early industries. This sparsely populated wilderness was sustained by farming and fishing until the mid 1800s. Area battles during the Civil War brought a large influx of troops, many stayed or later returned causing the population to grow. Over the next 70 years, the community grew with commercial and sports fishing becoming its main industries. The completion of the Intra-Coastal Canal in 1932 brought more development. Travel to Pensacola was made easier in 1962 by a bridge from Alabama Point to Perdido Key.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Area population steadily expanded through the years until Hurricane Frederic in September 1979. After the national media coverage following Hurricane Frederic, Orange Beach was “discovered”
Erected by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Orange Beach.
Location. 30° 17.535′ N, 87° 34.525′ W. Marker is in Orange Beach, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Canal Road east of Nancy Lane, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26389 Canal Road, Orange Beach AL 36561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orange Beach Community Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Josephine (approx. 3.4 miles Daphne United Methodist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Gulf Shores Community (approx. 7½ miles away); Vicinity of Salt Works and Camp Anderson (approx. 9.7 miles away); City of Foley (approx. 10.2 miles away); City of Foley Camellia Walk (approx. 10.2 miles away); Cobb's Light (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Categories. • Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 832 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on March 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 27, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.