St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort St. Simons
Location. 31° 8.045′ N, 81° 23.61′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on 12th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. At St. Simons Lighthouse site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Couper's Point (a few steps from this marker); Early History of St. Simons Island (a few steps from this marker); The First Light House ~ 1810 (a few steps from this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Keepers of the Light (within shouting Welcome to St. Simons Light! (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort St. Simons (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History - St. Simons Island. On the afternoon of July 5th,(1742), the mighty Spanish fleet attacked with the incoming tide, fighting its way furiously through the thin gauntlet of British ships and the cannon of Fort St. Simons (Submitted on November 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Forgotten Fort of St. Simons. (Submitted on March 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,289 times since then and 54 times this year. Last updated on March 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on January 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.