Near Wingate in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Community of Pumphrey
†††††In 1900, as the settlement grew, a one-room frame school was built and named New Hope, to embody the aspirations of the citizens. The community came to have a post office (1901-1912), several stores and 2 churches.
†††††It withstood tragedy in 1906 when 4 men were killed by lightning–leaving more than 20 children orphans.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4137.)
Location. 32° 2.344′ N, 100° 2.327′ W. Marker is near Wingate, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1677 and County Road 309, on the right when traveling south on Road 1677. Touch for map. Marker is at northwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Winters TX 79567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Drasco Community (approx. 4 miles away); Poe Chapel (approx. 5.6 miles away); Site of Old Communities of Mazeland and Wilmeth St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Cotton Oil Mill (approx. 6.7 miles away); Robert Cooke, M.D. (approx. 6.7 miles away); Winters Korean Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); Winters Brass Band (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Pumphrey, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 25, 2015.)
Categories. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 25, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.