Spanish Fort in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Ruins of the original Foundation of Baldwin County's First Courthouse
Ruins of the original Foundation of
Baldwin County's First Courthouse
Authorized 1820 • Constructed circa 1833 Preserved by Historic Blakely State Park 2011-12
With support in part of a Save Amerca's Treasures grant by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, and matching local tax funds
Erected by Historic Blakely State Park.
Location. 30° 44.636′ N, 87° 55.438′ W. Marker is in Spanish Fort, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is located on Franklin Street inside Fort Blakeley State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Spanish Fort AL 36527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Blakeley (approx. half a mile away); Alabama (approx. half a mile away); The Battle of Fort Blakely (approx. 1.1 miles away); Saluda Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep) (approx. 1.7 miles away); Women's Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops (approx. 3.6 miles away); Union Siege Battery No. 21 / 3rd Brigade of Carr's Division (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spanish Fort.
Also see . . . History: The Town of Blakeley. The state park website's history of the town of Blakely:...The Town of Blakeley is the oldest continuous town in Baldwin County and one of the oldest towns in the State of Alabama. Chartered in 1814 by the Mississippi Territory; re-chartered in 1818 by the Alabama Territory; and, chartered once more by the State of Alabama in approximately 1820… this municipality is still in existence today. Blakeley reached its zenith in the 1820’s when its population hovered around 4,000, larger than its competitor city of Mobile across the bay. There were hotels, stores, churches, blacksmith shops, majestic homes, and the first Courthouse of present day Baldwin County settled beautifully down by the Tensaw River…..a bustling seaport town. (Submitted on April 24, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2015, by William Bruce of Madison, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2015, by William Bruce of Madison, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.