Roanoke, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Frederick J. Kimball Memorial Fountain
In 1907 this fountain, carved out of red granite, was erected by Kimball’s friends in a Shenandoah Avenue Park near the N&W passenger station. It provided water for “man and bird and beast.” Horses drank from the front basin, people from the rear, and dogs from the sides.
In 1993 Norfolk Southern’s third chairman, David R. Goode, had the fountain restored and moved to this site.
Location. 37° 16.219′ N, 79° 56.287′ W. Marker is in Roanoke, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Williamson Road SE (U.S. 221) and Church Avenue SE, on the right when traveling south on Williamson Road SE. Touch for map. It is embedded in the pavement. Marker is in this post office area: Roanoke VA 24011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roanoke City Market (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roanoke Shops (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roanoke - A Railroad Town Operation Fast Freight (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Finest Steam Passenger Locomotive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Power Behind the Nation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norfolk and Western Railway (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roanoke.
Regarding Frederick J. Kimball Memorial Fountain. Quotes on three sides of the fountain are from “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” by the English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772–1834).
Also see . . . Frederick J. Kimball. Wikipedia entry. “Under Kimball, the Norfolk & Western became famous for manufacturing steam locomotives in-house at its Roanoke shops. Kimball, whose interest in geology was responsible for the opening of the Pocahontas coalfields in western Virginia and West Virginia, pushed N&W lines through the wilds of West Virginia, north to Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohio, and south to Durham and Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This gave the railroad the route structure it was to use for more than 60 years.” (Submitted on April 4, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on April 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on April 5, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 5. submitted on April 4, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.