Near Red Boiling Springs in Macon County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Crossroads of War
Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg established a temporary headquarters at the crossroads in September 1862 during his Kentucky Campaign. From his camp here, Bragg wrote about his Federal opponents to Confederate Gen. Leonidas Polk, “We have captured an important mail, giving us their plans. They are greatly demoralized, disheartened, and deceived; utterly in the dark as to our movements.” Bragg ordered Polk to “press the matter of supplies” and told him to “seize the railroad at Cave City (Kentucky) immediately, and if possible by some arrangement secure some rolling stock.”
Fighting came to the crossroads in the spring of 1863. On May 11, 100 men of Union Major F. M. Davidson’s 14th Illinois Cavalry engaged 125 men of Confederate Gen. John Hunt Morgan’s command. Federal losses were one officer and two privates wounded, and four taken prisoner. Confederate losses were two killed, one wounded left behind, and several wounded carried off. Davidson’s cavalrymen fell back from the crossroads, leaving it open, temporarily, for Confederate movements.
A Union camp was located four miles west on Union Camp Road behind Union Missionary Baptist Church.
Gen. Braxton Bragg, Courtesy Library of Congress
Northern magazines depicted cavalry actions, many of which were dismounted engagements, as daring charges, as in Harper's Weekly, May 20, 1863.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 26.933′ N, 85° 52.846′ W. Marker is near Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of Carthage Road (State Highway 56) and Union Camp Road (State Highway 262), on the right when traveling south on Carthage Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Red Boiling Springs TN 37150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cumberland Trace (approx. 6 miles away); Red Boiling Springs (approx. 6 miles away); Confederate Enlistment Station (approx. 6 miles away); Site of Civil War Hospital (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Red Boiling Springs (approx. 6 miles away); Ambush at Meadowville (approx. 9.1 miles away); Woodmore Hotel (approx. 9½ miles away); Macon County Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red Boiling Springs.
1. Witchers Crossroads - Gibbs Crossroads
Though known as Gibbs Crossroads today, this was named Witcher's Crossroads during the Civil War. It is even marked as "Witchers" on the Civil War era map.
— Submitted January 20, 2015.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2011, by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 583 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on April 7, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photo 1. submitted on March 18, 2011, by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.